Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In search of..

When I first watched the TED video, my reaction was that the internet has a mind to its own.  The computer can actually tell what you like and it will match you up with other search engines that are similar.  Every time you search, it puts it into algorithm and uses it against you.  2 different people with the same search for example, Egypt, can get totally different possibilities for websites.

I tired different key words and phrases to search for William Shakespeare.  I used more specific phrases like "William Shakespeare's life" and "who was Shakespeare and what is he famous for." I used Google first to see what would come up. It was what I had expected.  Many different websites about Shakespeare.  I did the same searches but into Bing.  They were different websites and different pictures.  Lastly I used the same searches into Yahoo.  It was similar to Google, but had more advertisments.  Eventhough I used the same seache words, each search engine had different outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment